10.13.2012

What is Poetry?

by Latorial Faison

When you ask me
"What is poetry?"
take a good look
it's my destiny

poetry is the man who
comes to my rescue
saves the soul in me
from a headful of insanity

poetry is my shrink
my music, my ability to think
the air that fills my life's lungs
defining me as I speak in lyrical tongues

poetry is my evolution
my God fearing constitution
the love of my life's charm
my calm before and after the storm

poetry is my God given seed
daily reviving in me a new deed
it's the Word growing from within
the mirror reflecting my soul's sin

poetry is my conquered fear
my security when a world of danger is near
it's my philosophy, my morality
the complicated methodology of my duality

poetry is my good sense
my faith, my hope, my pretense
I can't lie, it's my third eye
it's my answer to the question "Why?"

poetry is my history
my country girl life's mystery
it's my ocean and sky
my fun, my freedom, my high

poetry is my prayer of consecration
my lit path in valleys of desolation
it's my moving, my grooving
my balm, good and soothing

poetry lines my soul
God gave it to make me whole
He sent it to set me free
God made poetry my eternity

poetry is where I begin,
my end, my truth telling friend
my stoning of misery and strife
"What is poetry?" Poetry is my life!


Copyright © 2003-2017 Latorial Faison | www.latorialfaison.com
"What is Poetry" was published in Mother to Son: Poems by Latorial Faison

No comments: